Is God calling you to more, but you are unsure if you have what it takes to bring the idea to life? This is your reminder that you have all that you need to start.
I've always had a side hustle, from selling candy and making bracelets, to raking leaves, babysitting, and braiding hair, I always found a way to earn and supplement my income using my skills. So when God told me to start a business full-time I wasn't completely surprised at the request, but I was thrown off by the timing.
According to "my" schedule, it was about 15 years too early for the idea. I was in a new city, had gone back to school to pursue my PhD, and was a newlywed. Taking on another challenge was not high on my list.
But I have learned that if I am obedient, if I give God an unequivocal "YES", He will handle the details. So I said, and continue to, say YES, and watch God take my little and turn it into much; all because I trust Him that what I have is enough to start.
God often gives us "God-sized" dreams to push us outside of our comfort zone into the unknown where we have to trust and depend on Him for things to work out. He won't always give us the full picture at the beginning (because honestly we might not move forward if we knew every detail about what He was calling us to), but He always provides enough - information, knowledge, resources - to start.
Here's a word of encouragement as you move forward in your purpose.
As we step into obedience to that call, I've found these things to be true.
1. We have to reset our focus to prioritize what God said. It's easy to focus on the external things when God gives a direction, but often the things we see as important, God sees as a distraction. This is why focusing our attention on Him and what He has promised is our first step.
Practical Application - This means reordering our tasks to focus on what God has designated as a priority. This includes adjusting how our days are ordered, what we give our time to, how available we are for other tasks and projects. It also means "No", "Not at this time", and "I would love to, but my schedule does not allow. You should consider _____ for this" will become frequent responses.
Verse: "But first and most importantly seek (aim at, strive after) His kingdom and His righteousness [His way of doing and being right—the attitude and character of God], and all these things will be given to you also." Matthew 6:33 AMP
2. God will call us to remove the unnecessary (people, projects, things, goals, desires) so we can focus on Him. When we are moving in faith we have to lay aside the things that can get us off course. Now, that doesn't mean that they are all bad things, but even good things at the wrong time can be distractions.
Practical Application - This means making space to be fully present for the task at had. It includes designating time and resources like reallocating attention, funds, and personnel to the new priority, wrapping up projects, changing your service method and delivery, updating client avatars, and understanding that accepting God's priority may delay other goals and timelines you had previously prioritized.
Verse: "Wherefore seeing we also are compassed about with so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which doth so easily beset us, and let us run with patience the race that is set before us," Hebrews 12:1 KJV
3. Know that God will send encouragement as you need it. God doesn't ask us to have it all figured out. He asks us to be obedient and to trust that He will send the resources we need as we walk in obedience. I love having a well-crafted plan with all the details ironed out, with contingencies accounted for at every stage, but that's not how God works. He wants us to plan, but to hold our plans loosely so that we remain open for how He will move and provide for us.
Practical Application - This means knowing that starting where you are is fine and trusting God to send what you need in time. It includes remaining open to all the ways God can send encouragement - new clients, a friend sharing your offer, a family member treating you to dinner, an invitation to speak, a comforting presence on a difficult day, and a message that something you shared resonated with someone are all nudges from God that you are moving in the right direction.
Verse: "Blessed be the LORD, because he hath heard the voice of my supplications. The LORD is my strength and my shield; my heart trusted in him, and I am helped: therefore my heart greatly rejoiceth; and with my song will I praise him." Psalm 28:6-7 KJV
4. Get creative! Make use of what you have to complete the task at hand. God loves creativity! Look around at the sky, flowers, and your family and you will see His imagination at work. We are made in His image and all have a bit of creativity that is innate to use as well. God will often position us to utilize those creative skills in new ways when He resets our priorities.
Practical Application - This means knowing that you may have the pieces or raw materials nearby instead of the finished product. For example, God may give you the direction to create a course for Christian Entrepreneurs, but you have never created a course before. However, you have the knowledge of the material, Youtube has tutorials on how to create a course, Zoom has a recording feature, and Canva lets you design with ease. All of these are free tools; they simply require ingenuity to see them as such and to leverage them for a benefit. God supplies, it's up to you to utilize what He sends.
Verse: "Them hath he filled with wisdom of heart, to work all manner of work, of the engraver, and of the cunning workman, and of the embroiderer, in blue, and in purple, in scarlet, and in fine linen, and of the weaver, even of them that do any work, and of those that devise cunning work." Psalm 35:35 KJV
5. Step out on faith and watch God work! Faith is the main ingredient to every other step in this process. Trusting that God will bring things together in the way He promised is what will empower you to take the first step and keep you moving forward when things look different than He said. Remember, He always, always, keeps His promise.
Practical Application - Faith is a muscle that grows with use. In every assignment God gives us something to manage and He leaves things that only He can do. Those items require us to trust Him, in spite of what our circumstances or emotions tell us. This includes showing up to advertise/market an offer when you are nervous, tweaking a service to be more responsive to client feedback and launching again, not being afraid to go back to the drawing board to reshape your business to better fit your live and client needs, not being afraid to sit still when God hasn't given a you an answer/new direction. Trust that God is always working things together for your good, and don't be in such a rush that you move before He does. Trust His Hand, Word, and Timing.
Verse: "The Lord makes firm the steps of the one who delights in him; though he may stumble, he will not fall, for the Lord upholds him with his hand." Psalm 37:23-24 NIV
You have enough. Right now. Around you. At your disposal. God has given it into your hands. Step forward with faith & courage. Let’s go, CEO!
"Wherefore I put thee in remembrance that thou stir up the gift of God, which is in thee by the putting on of my hands. For God hath not given us the spirit of fear; but of power, and of love, and of a sound mind."
2 Timothy 1:6-7 KJV
Looking for help infusing your faith into your life + business to live and lead with intention, confidence, and clarity? Visit the link in bio or visit www.LorinRCarter.com/bookonline to schedule your Complimentary Clarity Call today! 😉
#confidence #clarity #intentional #kingdombusiness #lettinggo #trustGod #doitscared #inspo #instagood #businesslessons #ceocheckin #entrepreneurship #ChristianEntrepreneurs #ceo #entrepreneurtoceo #purposedrivenentrepreneur #christianbusinesscoach #leadershipconsultant #businessstrategist #smallbiztips #faithinbusiness #joyinthejourney #DrLRCLLC #TheCorporateConsultant #CreateALifeYouLOVETheLifeYouLive